The Malayan Railway Station is a heritage building which was gazetted as a national heritage in 2007 by the Department of National Heritage because of its unique architecture elements. Located along Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin, or formerly known as Victory Avenue, this building is the main rail service office for the Federated Malay States Railway (FMSR) and the Malayan Railway (KTM), before it was transferred to the Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station in 2001. This building is fully owned by the the Malayan Railway Corporation, also known as Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB), and is partially rented to Hotel Heritage for accomadation services.
The station was built by the Federated Malay States Public Works Department (Federated Malay State Railway, FMSR). The Malayan Railway Station (KTMB) is the third station built, at the exact same location. The first station was built in 1886 in conjunction with the opening of the railway between Klang and Kuala Lumpur which is located at the northern component of the existing building. It was known as “Residency Station” because of its location in the vicinity of the British Residence. The building’s roof was built using sago palms and the walls were constructed with wood and bricks. It was utilized for 6 years until traffic demand and trade increased, the building was then extended. The second station was built at the same location as the first station in 1892. The building materials were stones, bricks and roof tiles. The design of the building is similar to other government buildings at that time and was used for 15 years. The need to build a third station (which is the current station building) was carry out in 1906 when the building was constructed and built. The architect who was responsible was Arthur Bennison Hubback which at that time was the Assistant to the Director of Architecture Department of Public Works.
The Malayan Railway Station has undergone numerous changes in its structure and architecture since its construction. The following is a chronology of development events from 1886 until 2007: -
1886: The first station was built at the current building site. It is located at the junction between Klang and Kuala Lumpur, at Good Yard Station, in the northern component of the existing building. The building is also known as Residency. Almost all building materials are purchased from England.
1892: Sultan Station, the second station, was built in the same location as to replace the first station located at Foch Avenue, or better known now as Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock. This building’s architecture is greatly influenced by the Residency Station’s structural design, located along the Pudu rail route, linking mines from Ampang to the city. This building is made of bricks, shingles and tile roof. Supplemented by two small scaled pavilions, the building’s architecture is similar to government buildings built at that time. The Sultan Station building was used for 15 years.